Microbes in the soil, specifically fungi and bacteria, are the hidden engineers of entire ecosystems. We believe that effective interventions in these complex living systems must be built from the ground up.
We are focused on three research frontiers each of which is at the cusp of delivering breakthrough insights that will transform key industries. Collectively, these domains represent a paradigm shift in how humans engage with terrestrial systems.
- Proposal development for seed funding
- Startup CEO and strategic advisory
- Brand design including website and key collateral
- Partnership strategy and negotiations
- Recruiting and support for non-science roles
- We work with scientists to map frontier science to impact and pitch concepts to philanthropic funders and impact investors for new scientific research organizations that enable science-driven venture development.
- We work with investors and corporates to map and evaluate opportunity spaces and provide expertise in technology and market innovations related to microbial science. We also assemble teams of science advisors to validate opportunities or explore untapped potential.
- We work with founders and VCs to bring an emergent idea into the studio to prove out the impact hypothesis, build the team, and seek seed funding. In the case where a startup already exists, we work with the founding team to refine and prototype the value proposition.
Jason advises boards, founders, and their investors on corporate structure, product vision, and go-to-market strategy. For large enterprises, he has built venture teams that incubate new products and services and validate future-facing business models. Working with founders, he has led startup teams from day zero through growth and venture scale exits. Currently, Jason is Managing Director & Board Advisor at SPUN.
An award-winning product designer with a background in anthropology, David has built research and strategy practices at top agencies, working with brands such as Nike and Google. Recently, he has focused on applying digital methods to physical systems, rethinking shipyards, airports, and precision agriculture. Throughout, he has worked extensively with startups, including as mentor in the Techstars program. He is a strategic advisor at SPUN and part of the core team.
Maria applies novel insights about human behavior and market dynamics to drive decision-making on business strategy and product direction. She has helped Fortune 500 companies influence user behavior at scale, build innovation programs, and define product strategies. Now she is focused on working with early-stage companies to clarify their value proposition and market differentiation.
Jordan is a visual designer with a knack for rapid concept design as an input to product incubation, translating early ideas into compelling prototypes. He has led web, mobile, and product design projects for startups and global brands seeking to disrupt legacy industries by anticipating the next wave of innovation in services and experiences. He is currently Lead Designer at SPUN.